I am not a huge believer in supplements as I think we should be getting them from our food sources. I also believe that they are overused and used improperly without the correct knowledge in how to use them successfully.
I have done lots of research in supplements and through my education learned lots about supplements, herbs and other natural medicines. I admit that in our house I do one supplement daily and have a few others that I keep close by.
The #1 supplement in our house is cod liver oil.
Both Aiden and I have a daily ritual each night to take our cod liver oil together. He has a children’s formula and I have an adult formula and each surprisingly tastes totally manageable.
Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
- Cod liver oil has a high content of vitamins A, D and K
- Contains omega fatty acids.
- Some pediatricians recommend giving babies a 400 I.U. dosage of vitamin D while they are breastfeeding because it doesn’t transmit through breastmilk.
- Thins the blood and inhibits blood clots (ideal for our factor V Leidan)
- Reduces blood triglycerides (fat)
- Lowers blood pressure
- Eases symptoms of arthritis and other inflammatory syndromes
- Fights inflammation
- Inhibits cancer
- Reduces infant development abnormalities
- Combats early kidney disease
- Soothes bronchial asthma
- Regulates the immune system
- The omega 3’s, EPS and DHA (fatty acids) are essential for your child’s brain development, intelligence and vision.
I give Aiden 2.5 mL a day and I take 1 teaspoon per day.
I also take magnesium oil a few times a week, which I’ll do another post on another day. I also take Chinese herbs for breastfeeding support, but you need to visit an Oriental Medicine practitioner to get the correct Chinese herbal formula for you.
I give Aiden Child Life Cod Liver Oil. He loves this brand and shows me by licking the syringe I give it to him in!
As always, please consult your doctor before starting any supplements to make sure it’s a good fit for you!
What’s your go-to supplement?
Have you ever tried cod liver oil?