I’m definitely not here to say that stay-at-home-moms are not busy enough just getting through the day, but in case, you’re going a little crazy looking at the same walls everyday, here are some boredom-busters for moms with little ones. Â It’s nice to do different things everyday. Â Both you and your little one will appreciate a change of scenery and getting out of the house.
Somedays I love staying home, getting caught up on housework and
making Aiden take a nap. Other days, I reallyÂ need to get out of the house for my own sanity. Â Here are the things I do to help break up the monotony of staying at home.
1. Find someone to talk to. Â I call my mom at least 2
,000 times a day. Â It’s so nice to have someone to just talk to. Â I’m really lucky that my husband works downstairs and comes up stairs periodically during the day too.
2. Go on a walk.Â I love to go on walks. It’s refreshing for both Aiden and I. Â He sees different things and I get to breathe in some fresh air and get outside. Â Plus, it’s not usually a hassle and it’s free – both wins.
3. Join a mom’s group. There really is so much support for moms these days. Â There’s a support group for every aspect of parenting including sleep, breastfeeding, starting solids, play groups, etc. Â I have been to a lot of these and I always find them fun to connect with other moms that are in similar situations to yours. Â I am also going to join a MOPS group this month. Â They are great because they have childcare and the moms get adult interaction. Â Meetup.com is another great place to find groups – they have workout groups, book clubs, playgroups, religious groups, etc.!
4. Meet a friend for coffee or a playdate with the kids.Â I would have lost my sanity a long time ago had it not been for the other moms I’ve met since having Aiden. Â I’ve asked them countless questions and they’ve reassured me I’m not failing more times than I’d like to admit. Â I’ve met them through playgroups and classes we’ve taken. Â Mom friends are a God-send and I think critically necessary.
5. Go to the gym.Â Our gym offers daycare, so it’s really nice to take him there for a little bit while I get a workout in during the day. Â One of the best parts about this is that his “active” time is my “active” time. Â When he was younger and we went for stroller walks, he would always fall asleep, which was great, but then that was nap time and I didn’t get extra time to get other stuff done
or sleep myself.
6. Do crafts/play together. Â Now that Aiden is getting a little bit older, we’ve tried painting and I always try to look up activities that we can do together. Â We really like to read books and sing songs together. Â He really likes when I get on the floor and play with him too!
7. Look into your local library. Â In Denver, the public libraries offer “Book Babies” everyday. Â It’s a fun time to leave the house, read books, sing songs and let your baby play with other kids and different toys. Â Moms also get a nice break too! Â Other libraries offer story time. Â Barnes and Noble also offers story time sometimes too.
8. Spread out errands.Â Make it a point to leave the house everyday even if it’s just to the grocery store.
9. Join an online community/forums.Â There are SOOOO many of these to join. Â There are due date clubs where you can connect with moms that have babies born the same month as you, crunchy parent groups, Christian parent groups, and all other types out there for all the parenting styles.
10. Check your movie theatre.Â Some movieÂ theatersÂ have certain times when they allow moms with their babies to go to the movie. Â Kids can run around and cry and it doesn’t matter!
11. Check out mom and baby activities.Â In Denver, we have a plethora of retail places that offer groups and classes to moms for drop in rates that are usually affordable. Â There is also Stroller Strides, mom and baby swim classes, music classes, infant massage classes, Gymboree classes, and lots more!
These are the things that I do to keep Aiden and I entertained and happy throughout the day! Â I cherish staying home with him even more when we are doing stuff together!
What do you during the days with your little ones?
What’s your favorite activity to do with your baby?
(Please post in the comments section)