I hope you all had a great weekend. Â Mine was nice… I met a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time for tea, my mom came to town, we “nested” some more, ate pizza, cooked a roast for dinner and I worked a tiny bit! Â All in all, a win of a weekend. Â I can’t help but think about how many more weekends, I’ll be babyless! Â I’m pretty sure a few more, but nonetheless, we are on the countdown.
I’m meeting with my doula this week on Wednesday to go over the final birth plan, so I thought I’d share that with you today. Â NOTE: This is actually my birth wishes. Â There is never an absolute in childbirth, so these are the things I’d like to have done, but I understand that other measures/interventions might have to take place.
Due Date: March 3-10; again we are unsure.
Doctor’s Name: Rose Midwifery
Delivering Hospital: Denver Rose Medical Center
My delivery is planned as a: vaginal
- I’d like to labor at home as long as possible. Â God willing, I’m going to try not to go to the hospital until my contractions are about 3.5-4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour.
- I’d like to be free to move about as I want using the squat bar,Â jacuzzi, walking, birthing ball, etc.
- I’d like to be able to stay hydrated on my own without the use of an IV (although I know it’s protocol to put the IV in, but not have it hooked up until needed).
- The photographer to be present at the end stages of labor and during delivery.
- I’d like to have the least medical interventions as possible. Â For pain relief, I’d like to try movement, massage, distraction, hot therapy, and acupressure. Â Please don’t ask me what my pain level is or offer me pain medication. Â I’ll make it known if I want pain medication.
- I would like to avoid pitocin, getting my water broken and a c-section unless it’s absolutely medically necessary.
DELIVERY + POSTPARTUM
- I’d like to avoid an episiotomy and just tear myself.
- I’d like a quiet atmosphere when Aiden is arriving.
- I might ask for a mirror to see the crowning.
- I would like to avoid theÂ vacuumÂ and forceps if possible.
- I want skin to skin contact immediately after Aiden is born for 1 hour and would like to try nursing immediately.
- I would like for the cord to keep pulsing for a couple minutes before it’s cut.
- If I have a c-section, I would like David and my doula to be with me and Aiden to be given to David for skin to skin contact immediately.
- I want to keep my placenta!
- I’d like to postpone the vitamin K shots and eye antibiotics for several hours after birth.
- If Aiden needs extra medical attention, I want David to be with him AT ALL TIMES.
- Please don’t give Aiden formula, sugar water or a pacifier.
- I’d like Aiden to be kept in our room as much as possible!