I hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was nice… I met a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time for tea, my mom came to town, we “nested” some more, ate pizza, cooked a roast for dinner and I worked a tiny bit! All in all, a win of a weekend. I can’t help but think about how many more weekends, I’ll be babyless! I’m pretty sure a few more, but nonetheless, we are on the countdown.
I’m meeting with my doula this week on Wednesday to go over the final birth plan, so I thought I’d share that with you today. NOTE: This is actually my birth wishes. There is never an absolute in childbirth, so these are the things I’d like to have done, but I understand that other measures/interventions might have to take place.
Due Date: March 3-10; again we are unsure.
Doctor’s Name: Rose Midwifery
Delivering Hospital: Denver Rose Medical Center
My delivery is planned as a: vaginal
- I’d like to labor at home as long as possible. God willing, I’m going to try not to go to the hospital until my contractions are about 3.5-4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour.
- I’d like to be free to move about as I want using the squat bar, jacuzzi, walking, birthing ball, etc.
- I’d like to be able to stay hydrated on my own without the use of an IV (although I know it’s protocol to put the IV in, but not have it hooked up until needed).
- The photographer to be present at the end stages of labor and during delivery.
- I’d like to have the least medical interventions as possible. For pain relief, I’d like to try movement, massage, distraction, hot therapy, and acupressure. Please don’t ask me what my pain level is or offer me pain medication. I’ll make it known if I want pain medication.
- I would like to avoid pitocin, getting my water broken and a c-section unless it’s absolutely medically necessary.
DELIVERY + POSTPARTUM
- I’d like to avoid an episiotomy and just tear myself.
- I’d like a quiet atmosphere when Aiden is arriving.
- I might ask for a mirror to see the crowning.
- I would like to avoid the vacuum and forceps if possible.
- I want skin to skin contact immediately after Aiden is born for 1 hour and would like to try nursing immediately.
- I would like for the cord to keep pulsing for a couple minutes before it’s cut.
- If I have a c-section, I would like David and my doula to be with me and Aiden to be given to David for skin to skin contact immediately.
- I want to keep my placenta!
- I’d like to postpone the vitamin K shots and eye antibiotics for several hours after birth.
- If Aiden needs extra medical attention, I want David to be with him AT ALL TIMES.
- Please don’t give Aiden formula, sugar water or a pacifier.
- I’d like Aiden to be kept in our room as much as possible!