- David proposed to me on October 2, 2010 and we got married on May 7, 2011 in Sedona, AZ at a small, intimate ceremony out on the red rocks. Â This was the best weekend of my life. Â We had a great time with our family and close friends. Â The wedding planning process, however, we a slightly different story. Â There were obviously really fun things about planning a wedding. Â My mom was so wonderful in planning our wedding. Â She was the craftiest person Iâ€™ve ever seen and made pretty much everything for the reception down to the most intricate details imaginable. Â As with all weddings, there were some extremely stressful times trying to coordinate everyone. Â All in all, it worked out and David and I are married and on to our life now.
- We adopted a new family member, Otis. Â Heâ€™s been the best source of joy for both David and I. Â We love him more than words can explain. Â He has the cutest little personality and although heâ€™s a six month old puppy and can be very naughty, we canâ€™t stay mad at him ever. Â Iâ€™ve realized that things are just things and can be replaced if needed.
Favorite Part of School
- I got to start chipping away at my 900+ clinic hours. Â This is where I got to witness why I was in school and the fun began. Â I am so glad that I chose this profession and every time I go to clinic, exciting things happen!
- My favorite tropical vacation was when David and I spent Easter weekend in Kauai, Hawaii for our pre-wedding honeymoon. Â Due to my school schedule and the fact that we have primarily accountants in tax season in my family, we chose to have our honeymoon during this long weekend! Â It was a wonderful, stress-free five days. Â We were on the north side of the island in Princeville, which is incredibly quaint, so we hiked and played in the ocean for the majority of it!
- My favorite family vacation was when I got to visit Minneapolis for my little sisterâ€™s Bachelorette party in early August and then go back to Scottsbluff, NE for her wedding three weeks later. Â It was a fabulous weekend to spend with everyone thatâ€™s close to our family.
- We also took another family weekend trip to Las Vegas with my mom, sister and her husband, Dave. Â We had a great bonding time here as well.
- We spent our first Christmas together in my hometown with my mom, sister, her husband, Dave, my grandparents and my aunt, uncle and cousins. Â We had the best weekend and I feel that we all got closer again. Â I can hardly wait to live in that neck of the woods in Denver!
- I also have to say that I spent David and I spent our first holiday alone on Thanksgiving this year. Â We had to make our own traditions and it was a blast. Â We had a slumber party with Otis, ran in the morning, and ate Thanksgiving food. Â It was a wonderful day with my little family.
Other Fun Things of 2011
- Several other important people in our life also were getting engaged and planning weddings! Â David and I got to go to Austin to see my best friend from high school get married, my little sister got married at a big ceremony in our home town (more on that in a minute) and two of our other couple friends also were in wedding planning mode.
- I started blogging. Â I was reading a lot of healthy living blogs each day and decided to take the plunge and create my own. Â I did very good at keeping up with it for several months, and then fell off the wagon the last two months of the year. Â It started to feel like an assignment for school that I should put on my to-do list everyday. Â I burnt myself out and it didnâ€™t help that my computer was slightly old and took way too long to upload a picture. Â Now, I feel rejuvenated and have a brand new MacBook Pro, so no more excuses, although I wonâ€™t be posting everyday most likely. Â Iâ€™ve loved all the potential that having a blog creates. Â Iâ€™ve gotten to connect with some amazing people and even meet-up with a few minimalist bloggers in the Phoenix area.
These are the big things that happened to us this year. Â We are grateful to everyone who shared the journey with us. Â Iâ€™m thankful to everyone that kept my grounded when I thought jumping off a cliff might be easier than facing the stresses of school, work and wedding planning (I was never actually going to jump off a cliff… thatâ€™s just a metaphor).
Up For 2012
In 2012, we have another huge year!
- I will be finishing school in December of this year! Â I thought Iâ€™d never see the day, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Â I have to jump through some big hoops to get there, but I know with the support I have, Iâ€™ll get there. Â I have 30 credits this Spring semester, 3 national boards and a thesis to write as well as tying up some other loose ends!
- We will be moving to Denver at the end of my school. Â Iâ€™m not sure of any details yet, but David and I have always said that we want to get there as soon as possible and that is December!
Question: What are your 2011 superlatives!?