This week in my family we have had a few health scares and it really got me thinking about how to live a healthy life and how I can try my best to stay healthy. Â It’s hard to remember to go back to basics we all know, so sometimes we just need a little perspective! In America, our lifestyles are many times the cause of these things to come up, so thus I present to you, the things I think everyone should do to stay as healthy and life the best life possible! Â (Notice, this is not a list of things not to do, but rather things that should be included in life… let’s keep it positive and upbeat people!)
1. Â Get your veggies and fruits! Â They are jam packed with all your vitamins and mineral, as well as antioxidants, which can help to ward off nasty little pathogens and free radicals that REALLY want to be with you. Â The more fruits and veggies you eat, the more you actually can pronounce what’s going into your body too; win-win situation. Â They clean your system out, detox… and let’s not forget they DO taste wonderful:)
2. Â Hydrate. Â Your body is made up of mostly water and it really loves it. Â Water makes your insides sparkle as much as it does your skin. Â Everyone knows those complexions that just honestly glow… don’t you want that too? Â Plus, sometimes that “foggy” head of yours just might need a little extra H2O.
3. Â Move yo’ body. Â This isn’t a secret either. Â Exercise is good. Â It gets things moving in your body. Â No one likes a stagnant swamp… do we? Â Well when you aren’t moving your body, that’s what is happening in there, things are just sitting. I mean this both physically and psychologically. Â When we exercise it gets all those “feel good” substances racing in your body like endorphins and sertonin. Â Who needs drugs??? Â It’s the natural high.
4. Â ZZZZZ’s keep the machine runnin‘. Â Your iPhone can’t keep running without being charged and neither can we. Â Do you expect your phone to work properly when you forget to re-charge it? Â I didn’t think so. Â Don’t skimp on sleep. Â Of all the things in life there are to go without, sleep is not one of them.
5. Â Be thankful for each day. Â When you wake up, think about all you have to be thankful for. Â Don’t wake up dreading everything. Â Ah, I wrote an entire post on that once upon a time.
6. Â Love. Â This goes with the first one, but I’ll go a little further. Â There are plenty of negative, unhappy people in the world, so don’t be one of them. Â Instead, think about how you can make the world a little brighter. Â Remember, when you blow out someone’s candle, it doesn’t make your’s burn brighter.
7. Â Breathe and go to the mat. Â These two can be tied together in my mind. Â I am a culprit for this and I’m REALLY trying to be better. Most things in life will be what they are no matter how stressed out you are. Â Being stressed out does nothing, but hurt YOU! Â 90% of diseases are caused by stress. Â In yoga, we are taught to breathe through the pose, no matter how hard it might be. Â This lesson can be translated easily to life also. Â On the mat, it’s just you… you also have time for self-reflection and prayer. Â Here’s a mantra: Breathe, let go, and it’ll all be okay:)
8. Â Do something fun and indulge in moderation. Â Life is all about moderation. Â Moderation is everything. Â Find something you enjoy in life that lights that spark of passion in you. Â This will get you away from the things you dislike in life and make everything a whole lot more enjoyable.
Balance is the key to a happy and healthy life.