Many people think that there isn’t much to do in Phoenix in the summer because it’s so blistering hot. Â Through being in here in the summer and not wanting to reverse hibernate, I’ve compiled a list of things to do:
1. Go Tubing on the Salt River – This is such a great thing to do in the summer (mostly because it’s only open summer months) but because you get to be outside without getting heat stroke. Â This is fun to do with just your significant other (as David and I) or with a huge group of people. Â You can bring whatever you want on the river, including food and drinks. Â People get pretty creative out there I must say. Â There are radios, contraptions to drink liquor out of, floating coolers, and lots more fun stuff! Â It costs $15 to rent a tube and get a bus ride to and from the river from the parking lot! Â It takes around 3-4 hours for the long trip and about 2 for the shorter trip down the river.
2. Go To A Baseball Game at Chase Field – This is convenient because when the heat is really scorching (as most days in Phoenix), there is a cover for the stadium to keep it a nice, comfortable temperature.
3. Go For A Hike – I know, I know, it’s hot, but with the sun rising about 5 am in the summer, it’s not too hot to get outside then and see some great views of the valley. Â It feels good to get outside in the summer, and well for Phoenix, this is the time you gotta go! Â Some great hikes include South Mountain, the White Tanks, Camelback, and Squaw Peak.
4. Pool Parties – This is obviously somewhat similar to tubing on the Salt River, but you don’t have to go out East to enjoy the water. Â All apartment complexes have pools, and there are public pools resorts for pool usage. Â The resorts in Phoenix are significantly less expensive in the summer months, so a nice stay-cation could be an amazing weekend:) Â Also, the Mark Taylor apartment complexes are hosting pool parties at various properties around the valley each weekend. Â They have free food and beer–win-win situation!
5. Get happy hour in Old Town Scottsdale – This one isn’t just for the summer, but its really fun down there. Â There are a ton of restaurants with good happy hour deals, so go check it out! Â Some good restaurants include: RNR, Yard House, RA Sushi, Stingray Sushi, Kona Grill,Â Salty Senorita, and Stax. Â There are many more, but these are my faves!
6. Register for a 5k run/walk – The Arizona Road Racers do a great job of getting the running community together in the summer with the summer series. Â There are 5 races from May to August at various popular running locations around the valley. Â There is only one left, but it’s definitely worth going out there for it! Â It’s Aug. 14th at South Mountain.